Sunday, 31 August 2014

There's no such thing as 'too many' bags!

Sunday, 31 August 2014
As I sat with my Wonderful Mother and equally as Wonderful Grandmother in Costa on Saturday, we came onto the topic of Chanel Handbags. I explained to them both that i've always adored the Chanel Classic/2.55 Flap bag and how I wish that one day i'll be able to purchase one! As the topic progressed we then started discussing how certain things will never truly go out of fashion (The Classic Chanel handbag being one of course) Gran then told me of a gift that was brought back from South Africa from either her Brother/Brother-in-law.. Frankly I cannot remember which one as she named him (Hugh) and there are about 5 Hugh's on her side of the family! She said that if I liked it, I was more than welcome to have it.

After some more shopping, we went back to Gran's and she dug out the bag. Of which, I loved!

As soon as she handed it to me, you could smell the potency of the leather. At the time of receiving this from Hugh, it was said to be worth a lot of money. Whether it still is or not, I have no clue. The small bag is made entirely of real Crocodile Leather. Although, I don't condone the use of slaughtering animals in the name of fashion, I can't help but admit the final product has been exquisitely put together. I took a look on Google to see what else I could find out and how to verify the legitimacy of the leather used. The first key thing I came across is to evaluate the pliability (How easily bent something is) of the Leather. Crocodile Leather is pliable and so is the leather on the bag apart from the parts that have been hard backed (i.e. The Flap). The second being the presence of ISO (Integumentary Sensory Organ) Pore marks. These are basically just like the hair on our arms and legs. Crocodiles have a singular hair on each scale that helps them to examine what is around them, just like cats whiskers. When the scales are turned to Leather and 'tanned' the hairs are gone but the pore still remains. These are the two most prominent ways of authenticating any type of Croc' skin. 
The worth of the bag is still unknown to me. However, I'm aware this depends on certain aspects. Such as, the condition of the bag, how old the bag is (it's circa) , and the Craftsmanship. All I know is that the bag is in good condition, Its roughly 45 Years old (Late 60's) and It's Craftsmanship is excellent. 

The stitching is also exceptionally done, tight stitches throughout! My GCSE Textiles teacher would be impressed at this bag for sure. The whole bag for me is just divine, I hope to use often and i've already started planning outfits around the bag! 
Have any of you had an interesting item from an older relative or something that you've bought? Is yours considered vintage yet? or even Antique?! (Vintage - Usually 50 Years / Antique 100 +) 
Let me know and also tell me what you think of the bag, What would you wear it with?!




No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sophie © 2014